Wednesday, August 1, 2007

News From the Front

Since Operation Ithaca, there has been very little news regarding the actions of C-Troop Recon, 5/73rd Cav. I only know that I spoke to my son on July 22nd after his return from the last operation. I did receive through my FRG contacts, a link to Black Anthem News Service regarding an Operation Woodshed, in the Balad Ruz area (east, southeast of Baqubah, closer to Camp Caldwell than the current position of the 5/73rd, C-Troop, at FOB Warhorse). I cannot find any corroborating evidence that my son's platoon/team was involved in this action.

As always, it is very hard to tell exactly who is involved in various conflicts. In operation Ithaca, most of the posts were attributed to the 1st Cav division, with support from B-Troop, 5/73rd, Cav, 3rd BCT, 82nd Abn, but also supported by C-troop Recon. This group was called TF300. I cannot tell from any of the postings or discussions with my son (and things may change daily) what portion of C-Troop operates as a recon unit in support of B-Troop, in support of the 1st Cav.

Is it a conspiricy by the Military to change the functions and support alliances, so the loved ones and the press cannot figure out who is doing what, or doesn't the army really know what type of force is required and be able to organize and train a specific unit that can cover all functional needs of an operational unit. Or, in all fairness, it may be to the commands strength that they are able to mix and match whatever type of force is required to accomplish the mission. Whatever the purpose, it frustrates the soldier's families and loved ones trying to figure out why we haven't heard from our soldier for a week or more, especially in the age of vastly improved communication.

Regardless, it is obvious that major conflicts are going on, as it was reported that 11 terrorists were killed and 13 suspected terrorists were detained in an effort to secure the Turki Village region and provide stability to the local population.

No injuries or kia's were reported as a result of Operation Woodshed.

Col. David W. Sutherland, commander of Coalition Forces in Diyala province,was quoted to say: “As I’ve said before, the terrorists have no where to hide. In our eyes, there is no such thing as a safe haven,”.

As I have no confirmation that the 5/73rd, C-Troop Recon was involved I will leave further details to my source, Black Anthem News.

I am too small in the news reporting scheme of things, to try to be a force in reporting the war for all the families who crave news of their loved ones. But the process of listening and researching often requires viewing references to units outside of my sphere of interest. The links I provide, in many cases, have additional information that may be useful to the info-search of others that are concerned enough to try to get to the truth.

Dennis

No comments: